Walka Water Works is a 19th-century pumping station located near Maitland, New South Wales, Australia.
Built in 1887 to supply water to Newcastle and the lower Hunter Valley, the restored pump house – with its ornate chimney and brickwork – is now a part of the Walka Recreation and Wildlife Reserve.
The large sandstone water reservoir was originally filled with water pumped from the Hunter River. It is now home to many species of birds, which can be glimpsed from the the bush trails that wind through the park and surround the lake. Tortoises, with their heads and necks just visible above the water, can be spotted near the stone wall at the edge of the lake.
A pleasant picnic area with barbecues, a playground and even a miniature railway – which is usually in operation on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month from 11am – make this a good school holiday destination.